June 11–October 3, 2021
Americans successful Spain: Painting and Travel, 1820–1920 is the archetypal large accumulation to absorption connected the power of Spanish creation and civilization connected American painting. During the nineteenth century, artists progressively added Spain to their European tours to survey the masterworks successful the Prado Museum and to seizure the country’s scenic charms and customs. The accumulation features artists and movements that grow upon areas of peculiar spot successful the Museum’s collection, including artists of the Ashcan Circle and the Eight, arsenic good arsenic large canvases by Mary Cassatt, William Merritt Chase, Robert Henri, and John Singer Sargent. Also among the highlights are Sargent’s celebrated Carmencita (1890) from the Musée d’Orsay; a recently discovered coating by Mary Cassatt from a Madrid backstage postulation ne'er earlier shown successful the United States; and Spanish aged masters connected indebtedness from the Prado Museum that American painters copied.
The exhibition’s much than 100 paintings, photographs, and prints are presented chronologically and organized to stress migration, tourism, and question successful nineteenth-century Spain. Additional themes see the romance and the world of aged Spain; Spanish aged masters and American copyists astatine the Prado Museum; Spanish architecture, gardens, and landscapes; Spain’s Islamic history; and the captious and fashionable responses to American artists’ work.
This accumulation is co-organized by the Milwaukee Art Museum and the Chrysler Museum of Art.
All exhibitions are included successful admittance and escaped for Museum Members. Not a Member? Become one today!
The Artist-Travelers Project
Explore however artists and different travelers successful the nineteenth and aboriginal twentieth centuries experienced Spain. See the guidebooks they used, letters they wrote, works they created, routes they took, and much done this interactive website.
Begin your travel »
A Digital Guide for the Exhibition
Use your idiosyncratic instrumentality to research prime works from the accumulation successful depth. The Americans successful Spain app includes bilingual audio commentaries and further accusation connected thirty-six of the exhibition’s paintings and works connected paper. The Americans successful Spain app is disposable connected Google Play and the App Store® for iPhone®, iPad®, and iPod touch®.
Any views, findings, conclusions, oregon recommendations expressed successful this exhibition, bash not needfully correspond those of the National Endowment for the Humanities.
- Mary Cassatt, Spanish Girl Leaning connected a Window Sill, ca. 1872. Oil connected canvas, 24 3/8 × 19 in. (61.9 × 38.26 cm). Collection of Manuel Piñanes García-Olías, Madrid. Photo, Cuauhtli Gutierrez
- José Jiménez Aranda, Figaro’s Shop, 1875. Oil connected canvas, 17 5/16 × 22 5/8 in. (44 × 57.4 cm). The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore, Maryland. © The Walters Art Museum
- Robert Henri, Queen Mariana, ca. 1900. Oil connected canvas, 91½ × 48 in. (190.82 × 128.59 cm). The Robert Henri Museum and Gallery. Photo courtesy Robert Henri Museum and Art Gallery, Cozad, Nebraska
- John Singer Sargent, Ilex Wood, Majorca, 1908. Oil connected canvas. 22½ x 28 in. (57 x 71 cm). Carmen Thyssen-Bornemisza Collection, connected indebtedness astatine the Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza, Madrid, CTB.1997.34
- Joaquín Sorolla y Bastida, Hall of the Ambassadors, Alhambra, Granada, 1909 (detail). Oil connected canvas. 41 x 32 in. (104.1 x 81.3 cm). The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles, 79.PA.154
- Robert Henri, El Matador, 1906. Oil connected canvas, 78 x 38 in. (198.1 x 96.5 cm). Milwaukee Art Museum, Purchase, the Mr. and Mrs. Donald B. Abert and Barbara Abert Tooman Fund with funds successful representation of Betty Croasdaile and John E. Julien, M2019.1. Photo by John R. Glembin.
- John Singer Sargent, La Carmencita, 1890. Oil connected canvas, 90 x 54¼ in. (228.6 x 134.22 cm). Musée d’Orsay, Paris, RF746. © RMN-Grand Palais/Art Resource, NY
- Childe Hassam, Church Procession, Spain, ca. 1883. Oil connected canvas. Private collection.
- William Merritt Chase, Sunny Spain, 1882. Oil connected canvas. Collection of Lois and Arthur Stainman.
Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google LLC.
iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch®, and App Store® are registered trademarks of Apple Inc.