Get a regular rundown of the apical stories connected Urban Milwaukee
The Wisconsin State Fair is back, and that means that folks erstwhile again get a accidental to effort immoderate improbable nutrient pairings, absurd concepts and the tried-and-true instrumentality favorites. The fair, which runs from August 5 done 15 this year, announced that determination volition beryllium adjacent to 70 caller options, ranging from cruller-crusted chickenhearted to pizza poutine waffle fries to the Yak-Mac Attack Burger, a yak nutrient hamburger (seriously) topped with macaroni and cheese. Chris Foran reports:
This year, determination are astatine slightest eight new foods-on-a-stick, and the combinations are, well, a small unexpected.
- Buttery Prime Rib Jerky On-a-Stick (buttery premier rib successful jerky form served connected a stick)
- Country-Fried Steak On-a-Stick (fried 2-ounce cube steak, served with homemade achromatic gravy)
- Gator Claw On-a-Stick (grilled alligator limb served connected a instrumentality with Cajun ranch sauce)
- Jalapeño Bratwurst On-a-Stick
- Peanut Butter Squealer (maple-infused meal sausage baked wrong a Belgian waffle, smothered successful peanut butter, topped with existent bacon and served connected a stick)
- Peppadew Olives On-a-Stick (deep-fried greenish queen olives stuffed with caller ail successful a Peppadew pepper)
- Polish Puppies On-a-Stick (deep-fried hush puppies stuffed with Klement’s Jalapeño Polish, sautéed onions, sauerkraut, cheddar cheese; served with buttermilk chive dipping sauce)
- Triple C Cookie Dough On-a-Stick (chocolate cooky dough loaded with chocolate chips served on-a-stick).
… And past there’s the Deep-Fried Wisconsin Fish Fry, fundamentally a full food fry meal rolled unneurotic and deep-fried.
Anytime Arepa Planned For Downtown Food Hall
Anytime Arepa, a nutrient motortruck that specializes successful the Latin flatbread sandwich and different Venezuelan food, is coming to The Avenue, the caller nutrient hallway planned for 275 W. Wisconsin Ave. The caller determination volition let the concern to grow upon its nutrient motortruck menu. Rachel Ryan reports:
Leo Farfan, who owns a nutrient motortruck called Anytime Arepa with his wife, Maria Salas, is among the Venezuelan immigrants. The mates came here with their 2 teenage sons 2 years ago, leaving everything behind.
They started Anytime Arepa successful 2018, selling arepas astatine farmers markets and tiny events, arsenic good arsenic catering backstage events. After taking a rotating slot at Zócalo Food Park connected South Sixth Street for astir a year, they secured a full-time slot.
Now, they program to unfastened a 2nd determination arsenic an indoor venue astatine the 3rd Street Market Hall…
Farfan said they volition keep the popular build-your-own arepa option… The choices include: beef, pork oregon chicken; cheddar, jack oregon feta cheese; achromatic beans and plantains; and garlic, avocado oregon spicy salsa.
Farfan teased immoderate caller additions to the nutrient selections, including a food akin to tuna and asado. They volition besides connection immoderate gluten-free options.
New Cafe for South Milwaukee
A section favourite Dairy Queen successful South Milwaukee closed its doors aft 50 years of concern successful 2019. Now, a caller cafe conception volition bring caller beingness to the space. Lori Fredrich reports:
For Becky and Zach Kinzer, owners of the mobile espresso and milkshake trailer Better Together Cafe, the thought of opening their ain cafe has been a agelong held dream. And it’s 1 they anticipation volition travel to fruition by mid-to-late August…
The caller cafe itself is expected to accommodate seating for astir 25 guests successful a abstraction that Becky Kinzer describes arsenic “modern but cozy.”
The Kinzers are readying partnerships with different section businesses including bakeries, nutrient trucks and shops similar La Macaron successful Brookfield to connection airy meal and luncheon options (including paninis and wraps)…
The Kinzers volition besides adhd peculiar backstage statement java created by a section roaster, arsenic good arsenic a brushed service crystal pick instrumentality truthful that they tin marque their ain crystal pick close astatine the shop.
The existent milkshake menu, which includes whimsical offerings similar the Unicorn (a milkshake served up with a sour straw and topping of fabric candy) will decidedly remain…
Tentative hours for Better Together Cafe are Tuesday done Sunday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.